Humans are always keen on building huge structures right from ancient ages. Now, the era of engineering and technology has made possible many complex and large buildings and combines the aesthetic appeal and strength of such buildings. According to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) developed the international standards for measuring and defining tall buildings, any structure is considered tallest when 50% of its height is made up of habitable or working floors. We will discuss the tallest buildings in the world.
If humans need to witness a building that could be built at least as tall as 8,849 meters which are one meter taller than Mount Everest and if humans need to achieve this height then the broad base is required just like Mount Everest to support its weight which will be similar as Mt. Everest, Here is the list of tallest buildings in the world,
Tallest Buildings In The World
1.Burj Khalifa- 828 M (2,717 FT)
- Burj Khalifa is also known as Burj Dubai is a mega tall skyscraper situated in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- This is the tallest building in the world standing at 828 meters (2,716.5 feet). Not just the tallest building, Burj Khalifa is even greater than whatever humans has built from the ground up.
- It also holds the record for the highest number of stories with 163 stories.
- Burj Khalifa also holds a record for the highest habitable floor at 160 stories.
- Level 153 of Burj Khalifa is the highest occupied floor in the world.
- The building opened up to the public in 2010 as a part of new development known as Downtown Dubai. The building was designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merill (SOM) which is an American architectural, urban planning, and engineering firm.
- Burj Khalifa required 330,000 cubic meters of concrete along with 39,000 m/t of reinforced steel and 103,000 square meters of glass. It also took 22 million man-hours to work any given time during the building of Burj Khalifa.
Also Read: 10 Historic and Famous Prisons In The World
2.Shanghai Tower- 632 M (2,073 FT)
- The Shanghai Tower is a mega tall skyscraper situated in Lujiazui, Pudong, Shanghai.
- The second tallest building in the world standing at 632 M (2,073 FT) was designed by Gensler (American design and architecture firm) and owned by a consortium of Chinese state-owned companies. The other two supertall buildings in Pudong is the Jin Mao Tower and the Shanghai World Financial Center.
- The construction of the building was started in November 2008 and was completed at the end of 2015.
- Th total floor on the building is 137 floors (5 basement levels, 127 floors above ground and 5 podium floors) with a total floor area of 380,000 square meters (4,090,000 square feet).
- The design of the building is tower’s glass facade that completes 120° twist as it rises that will help to reduce wind loads on the building by 24% and hence it is the tallest twisted buildings in the world.
- The tower is able to accommodate as many as 16,000 people on a daily basis.
Also Read: 10 Most Famous Statues In The World
Image Source: Wikimedia
3.Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower- 601 M (1,971 FT)
- Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower is the third tallest building in the world located in Saudi Arabia. The building served as a hotel, a shopping mall, an observatory tower to observe the moon during the month of Ramzan, an Islamic museum and a conference room. It is owned by government authorities of seven skyscraper hotels in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
- Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower is built by the Saudi Bin Laden Group, the largest construction company in Saudi Arabia.
- The complex is metres away from the world’s largest mosque and Islam’s most sacred site which is the Great Mosque of Mecca.
Image Source: Nadir Hashmi
4.Ping An Finance Center- 599 M (1,965 FT)
- The Ping An International Finance Center which is also known as the Ping An IFC is a supertall skyscraper situated in Shenzhen, Guangdong, China.
- The building was commissioned by Ping An Insurance and it was designed by the American architectural firm Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates.
- The construction of the building was completed in 2017 and declared as the tallest building in Shenzhen and 2nd tallest building in China making it the 4th tallest building in the world.
- The building also holds the record for the highest observation deck in a building at 562 m (1,844 ft).
- The building is equipped with 33 double-deck elevators, travelling at speeds of up to 10 m/s.
Image Source: Wikimedia
5.Lotte World Tower- 554.5 M (1,819 FT)
- Lotte World Tower is one of the tallest buildings in the world with a 123-story skyscraper located in Sincheon-dong, Songpa District, Seoul, South Korea.
- The building was opened to the public on April 3, 2017, and is listed as the tallest building in South Korea and the fifth tallest in the world.
- The planning of the building took thirteen long years before the construction finally began in 2011 and was completed in 2016.
- The roof of the building is designed in such as way that the building can withstand earthquakes up to a magnitude of 9 on the Richter scale, which is common in South Korea.
- The tower building is very close to the Lotte World Park and near the bank of the Han River.
- The building is also a landmark of Seoul and the first 100-story building in Korea.
6.One World Trade Center- 541.3 M (1,776 FT)
- One World Trade Center is also known as the Freedom Tower is now the main building of the rebuilt World Trade Center complex situated in Lower Manhattan, New York City.
- One of the tallest buildings in the world has the same name as the North Tower of the original World Trade Center that was destroyed in the terrorist attack of September 11, 2001.
- The building was well designed by David Childs who owns the firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) and also successfully designed the Burj Khalifa and the Willis Tower.
- The old One World Trade Center was started on July 4, 2004, but the new building began on April 27, 2006, and was completed in July 2013. The building opened on November 3, 2014.
- One World Trade Center is the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and six tallest buildings in the world with an elevation of 541.3 M (1,776 FT).
- One World Trade Center is 104 standard floors high, but the tower has only 94 actual stories.
7.Guangzhou CTF Finance Centre- 530 M (1,739 FT)
- The Guangzhou Chow Tai Fook Finance Centre is also known as East Tower standing at 530 M is one of the tallest buildings in the world situated in Guangzhou, Guangdong, China.
- The East Tower is the third tallest building in China completed in October 2016. It has 11 floors with a total height of 1739 feet.
- The building is centric on four purposes namely, office to residential, residential to the hotel, hotel to crown, and crown to the sky.
- It is equipped with 1700 parking lots, a hotel on the top 16 floors and the world’s fastest elevators that can reach speeds of about 44 miles per hour.
- The tower is owned by Chow Tai Fook Enterprises.
Image Source: Wikimedia
8.Tianjin CTF Finance Centre- 530 M (1,739 FT)
- Tianjin CTF Finance Centre is again a supertall skyscraper situated in Tianjin, China.
- The construction of the building started in 2013 and was completed in 2019. This is the second tallest building in Tianjin after Goldin Finance 117 and the eighth tallest building in the world.
- The building is situated in the outer district of the Tianjin Economic-Technological Development Area. The building was designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP in collaboration with Ronald Lu & Partners.
- This is a polyline-shaped building that comes with a square shape as the base, and the shape is tapered from bottom to top.
Image Source: Wikimedia
9.China Zun- 528 M (1,732 FT)
- China Zun also known as CITIC Tower is a supertall skyscraper situated in the Central Business District of Beijing.
- The building has 109-storey surpassing that of the China World Trade Center Tower III by 190 metres. The name of the building comes from the sun, an ancient Chinese wine vessel that inspired the building design, according to the developers, the CITIC Group.
- The building has 60 floors of office space, 20 floors of luxury apartments and 20 floors of the hotel with 300 rooms.
- It is also equipped with a rooftop garden on the top floor at 524m high.
Also Read: Top 10 Countries With Longest Coastlines
Image Source: Wikimedia
10.Taipei 101- 508 M (1,739 FT)
- Taipei 101 is a supertall skyscraper in Taipei, Taiwan. Till 2004, it is the world’s tallest building in the world and remained such until the completion of Burj Khalifa in Dubai in 2009.
- The construction of the building started in 1999 and finished in 2004.
- It is popular as an icon of modern Taiwan ever since its opening. The hieght of the tower is 508 meters and the roof height and top floor height as 448 meters (1,470 feet) and 438 meters (1,437 feet).
- The total floor area of the building is 412,500 square meters (4,440,100 square feet) and the total cost of construction is around US$1.934 billion.
- It was designed by Taiwanese architecture firm C.Y. Lee & Partners.
- The design of Taipei 101 borrows heavily from Chinese culture and is characterized by blue-green glass curtain walls that are double-paned and glazed, offer heat and UV protection sufficient to block external heat by 50 per cent.
These are the top 10 tallest buildings in the world. Kindly share and do post your comments.