Quails are popular as small birds that belong to the family of pheasant and partridge species. The small birds are divided into the old world quail and the new world quail. It is believed that the old world quail have 95 species, however, the new word quail has 32 species till now. The genera of the new word quail are listed as Callipepla, Cyrtonix, Dactylortyx, Philortyx, Colinus, Odontophorus, Oreotyx, and Rhynchortyx, however, under the old world genera are Corturnix, Excalfactoria, Anurophasis, Perdicula, and Ophrysia. We will discuss some of the interesting facts about baby quail.
Image source: Wikimedia
Quails are also known as Bible, European, Nile, or Pharoah quail and are mostly seen in the regions of Asia, Africa, and Europe. It prefers to thrive in woodlands, areas covered with bushes and open spaces. These birds are also domesticated for poultry to produce eggs of high quality. It can reach upto 4.5 to 7.8 inches in length and 2.4 to 4.9 ounces of weight. The avarage lifespan of quail is 3 to 5 years in the wild. Here are some of the important facts about baby quails,
Facts About Baby Quails
- The baby quail species are precocial that means the baby birds are well developed and ready to leave the nest shortly after birth. The young quails reach maturity at the age of 2 months. They will follow the path of their parents.
- Baby quails are called chicks and chicks hatch out eggs in less than a month. The baby quail has also different names such as clutch, chick, and brood.
- The group of quail is called a flock, a Bevy, a Covey, and a Queer of Quail, however, a group of baby quail is called chicks, clutch, brood, and offspring.
- Quails lay more eggs than chicken and even the size of their eggs are smaller than chickens. It is belived that chickens lay around 200 eggs a year, however, quail will often lay eggs of 300 a year.
- Baby quails are easy to raise than chickens you just need to set up feeders and waterers. Baby quails eat less they can be easily raised on wire mesh so the dropping falls out and clean the cage on its own.
- Baby quails take very little space and only need 1 square foot of cage per bird, however, baby quails need to huddle together and are pretty sedentary animals.
- One of the most important facts about baby quails is the feed that comes in crumbles called Game Bird Chow that has a high protein between 19%-30%.
Also Read: Top 10 Facts About Honeybee
- The most important thing you all should know that baby quail need only a few ounces of water but it needs to keep it refresh regularly to keep it clean.One more thing you need to take care that baby quails need not sleep in the water because they can drown in it.
- The best growth of baby quails will happen at around 95 degrees Fahrenheit. The best way to do that is to set up your brooder (indoors) make sure it’s just big enough so that the baby quail can get away from the heat.
- The baby quail need to need to stay in an indoor brooder for about 5 weeks. They are ideal in spring or summer, however, they need to keep inside a bit longer during winters.
These are the top 10 interesting facts about baby quails you all should know. Kindly share and do post your comments.